Lil Mama "empire state of mind" freestyle


With the release of her "Empire State of Mind" freestyle Lil Mama addresses critics of her unscripted Video Music Awards 2009 on-stage appearance alongside Jay-Z and Alicia Keys.

Prior to beginning the freestyle, Mama denied rumors about her stage presence being a publicity stunt.
"I don't know what's being thought or what's being perceived or what people think is out there that I might have put out there," Mama said in a video. "We got people leaking footage from three, four, five months ago saying I'm addressing an issue that has occurred at the VMA's, totally not. If I'ma address an issue, I'ma do it correct. I'm from Brooklyn, son. 'I said big city, bright lights/Big show, big night...Who's small, who's tall/Who's worthy of spotlight/Did it for love or did I do it for the spotlight/Did it for the love of New York 'cause I'm a Brook' knight/Shoulda had my pink and white Yankee on with my fresh Nikes...So disappointed how could you not feel my heart beat/So I disappointed a fraction because my heart beats/Y'all was raised up so check it the reckless/And still hold the torch up from Tetris to Texas/Brooklyn I roam through...'" (World Star Hip Hop)


Keys recently talked about Lil Mama's unexpected stage crash and said the young emcee should have remained seated.
"I would rather not speak about [it] because the performance was so phenomenal it doesn't even matter about anything else," Keys explained in an interview last week. "Jay-Z and I are native New Yorkers, it's kind of a classic New York song like new Frank Sinatra, Liza Minnelli...I can appreciate her being overwhelmed and inspired but we would have preferred she did it from her seat..." ("The Today Show")


Lil Mama previously apologized and spoke on why she appeared on the stage without being invited by Hov or Keys.
"I didn't know what Jay said," Lil Mama explained in an interview. "I thought he was like, 'OK, enjoying the moment with me, interacting,' which was after I walked up. But after watching it from home, watching myself on the Internet, I'm bouncing and I'm coming up toward Jay-Z and he's backing up. And my emotions at the time was like a vibe, like, 'Yeah, New York.' I was definitely caught up in the moment. He was backing up and when I got home I realized [he said], 'Oh, you gonna T-Pain it, huh.' I realized it when I got home. Now that I'm home, I was like, 'Wow, Jay-Z wasn't feeling it.' I would never get up there and try to disrespect Jay-Z or take a moment that someone else created and try to live it. I'm too original for that and I respect him too much for that. To Jay in particular, as a Brooklyn native -- who I am also -- in that moment it was nothing but respect and honor...It was a joyous moment. Whenever we share happiness or a celebration takes place, usually it's graceful, it's never to disrespect. I never meant any harm. I was enjoying myself and I was enjoying his performance. I got love for him and I love you, [Jay-Z]." (MTV)
Ma opinion on this, Lil mama shudv sat her ass down. Who she think she is, kanye or sumin. You cant go on stage for anything unless you performin or you Kanye West. Kanye cudv went on stage told Jay, ey yo dude u dressed shit. He cudv done that and next tym he drops (album) sell a milli. Lil mama shud play her part, for now thats lettin da big boys do their shit.

1 comment:

  1. mama was wrong to interfere,she is young and naive i think she shud be pardoned cos u can actually tell she cudnt resist the duple rhythm,it sometimes happens to young mcees.

    ReplyDelete